CAB-18990 Product Description
RS232 DTE Null Modem Cable (DB-9 Female)
The purpose of a null-modem cable is to permit two RS-232 DTE devices to communicate with each other without modems or other communication devices (i.e., “DCE”s) between them.
It is common convention for many DTE devices to assert the DTR signal when they are powered on, and for many DCE devices to assert the DSR signal when they are powered on, and to assert the CD signal when they are connected. By connecting the DTR signal of one DTE to both the CD and DSR inputs of the other DTE (and vice versa), we are able to trick each DTE into thinking that it is connected to a DCE that is powered up and online. As a general rule, the Ring Indicate (RI) signal is not passed through a null-modem connection.
DB-9 Female Pins Connections
- Receive Data 2 3 Transmit Data
- Transmit Data 3 2 Receive Data
- Data Terminal Ready 4 6+1 Data Set Ready + Carrier Detect
- System Ground 5 5 System Ground
- Data Set Ready + Carrier Detect 6+1 4 Data Terminal Ready
- Request to Send 7 8 Clear to Send
- Clear to Send 8 7 Request to Send