Selecting The Right USB Hub
All USB Hubs are not created equal. Before starting your next project, here are a few helpful questions to consider.
Do you need protection against surges, spikes and grounding issues?
- Consider a hub with isolation. Coolgear hubs offer 2.5kV or 4kV isolation.
Mechanical specifications to take into consideration:
- Will your design be used in harsh industrial environments?
Maintain a positive connection with industrial-grade USB ports or cables so there is no disruption of data communications
- Do you have USB 3.0 devices currently?
Select Coolgear hubs support USB 3.0 SuperSpeed.
- Is there a specific mounting format or physical size that best fits your application?
Inline, compact hubs (used in field service applications
DIN rail mounting (good for in cabinet designs)
Panel mount (use on desktop or mount on a flat panel)
- How will you power the hub? From an external power supply or from the USB bus?
What safety or environmental aspects do you need?
- Will your device be left alone in a harsh environment application or is it meant for field service?
- Do you need a hub that supports UL or UL Class 1 Division 2 ratings?
- Does your hub need shock, vibration, or drop testing specifications for your application?
Ask a few more questions once you have selected your device:
- Do you have all the accessories to make the connections you need?
Cables, Surge Protection, Cabinets, Power Supplies
- When do you need to complete your project? Do you need samples for proof-of-concept and full production?
Industrial USB Hubs
Industrial USB Hubs are designed with ESD protection, wide operating temperature ranges and offer screw-lock USB connectors for instant plug-and-play connectivity.
- Versatile mounting options – panel, DIN rail, desk
- Rugged metal casing or IP30 plastic
- 4 kV isolation between upstream and downstream ports
- Wide operating temperature range options
- Screw-lock ports for connections that won’t come loose
- Designed and tested to meet heavy industrial standards
Ethernet Enabled USB Hubs
Provides quick and easy communication with USB-enabled devices over your LAN.
- Save time and money – no need for a local PC
- Access, monitor and control up to four USB 2.0 devices
- High-speed USB (480 Mbps)
- 10/100/1000 Mbps Ethernet
- Compatible with Windows 7 operating system
- OEM Solutions
- Field Service
- Manufacturing/Factory Automation
- Industrial Automation
USB Ports – Considerations & Features
Secure USB Ports – USB is being adopted by the world as a useful, cost-effective tool. But, in some industrial applications, the lack of a strong connection can make a device inadequate. Strong connections featuring screw-lock connectors assure that your USB connections will hold together in demanding applications.
USB 3.0 Ports – USB 3.0 SuperSpeed ports are indicated by a unique blue color. If you have any USB 3.0 devices, it’s recommended to use 3.0 ports, however, 2.0 ports will suffice.