New USB 3.0 C-Type First Generation A to C Cable
The “USB-C” or “USB Type-C” is the newest universal USB connector that is capable of twice the speed of USB 3.0 throughput and provides the ability to carry more power, up to 100 Watts in future applications. The USB-C connector will work with previous USB versions; however, this is based on the USB specifications and proper connection ports must be used.
The USB Type-C connector provides for the use of USB 3.0 and USB 3.1 versions of the USB Specifications. Like the Apple reversible lightning connector, the new USB-C connector is reversible, the user does not have to worry about which way the connector is placed and avoids possible port or plug damage. The USB-C will not connect into other USB ports to be used as a normal device cable would but can connected from the USB 3.0 host Type-A port to a device or Type-C device port.
USB-C Type Cable Features and Compatibilities
- USB 2.0: Compatible with Low Speed, Full Speed, and High Speed USB specifications.
- USB 3.1: First Generation (5Gbps SuperSpeed) – Second Generation (10Gbps SuperSpeed+)
- Power Delivery: Enhanced power delivery options – Scalable power charging with connectors being able to supply up to 5 A and future cables supporting 3 A for up to 100 watts of power.
- Docking Support: USB PD (USB power delivery) based on interface configuration option
- Power Production: Ability to provide 100W of power with USB 3.1 cabling opposed to the previous 10W.
- Durability: 10,000 connect/disconnect cycles
- Usage: Can be used with mobile devices, laptops, and tables supporting Type-C port connections and power output.
- Reversible plug orientation: Power and Ground will be correct regardless of orientation.
- Certification: Supports both USB 3.1 (10 Gbps) and USB 3.0 (5 Gbps)
Technical Note: The new C-Type connector (also called USB-C) is a new generation of USB connector that is engineered to support USB 3.0/3.1 specification applications. The cabling that the C-Type connector is manufactured with will determine the amount power and version of USB that is used.