Mini USB RS-232 Introduction:
The USBG-232MINI serial adapter uses a Mini USB RS-232 format to synchronize your Handhelds, Digital Cameras, or other device currently using a serial port and works with your legacy serial connections. Connecting your serial devices to the newer computer equipment using USB bus technology gives you an advantage of adding one or more serial devices when needed. This adapter is hot plug compatible via its USB connector. The USBG-232MINI Mini USB RS-232 Serial Adapter is great for newer technologies with no serial port connections.
The high-speed DB-9 serial port with the 128 byte FIFO allows for high-speed communication between devices, even in heavy loaded systems. One of the unique features of this adapter is reduction of the system load. The serial port also allows unusual speed settings like 500.000bps. The USBG-232MINI also comes with a 3 foot USB Extension cable!
Mini USB RS-232 Features:
- Adds one RS-232 serial port by connecting to a USB port.
- Includes 3 foot USB extension cable.
- Compact size cable type converter with cable length of 25 cm
- Installed as standard Windows COM port
- Full RS-232 modem control signals and hardware/software flow control
- Transmit Buffer: 256 bytes
- Receive Buffer: 128 bytes
- RS-232 data signals: TxD, RxD, RTS, CTS, DSR, DTR, DCD, RI, GND
- High speed serial port with the baud rate up to 921.6K bps
- Non-standard baudrates supported
- LED status indicators for TxD and RxD for easy port monitoring and diagnostic
- Serial port protected with ESD protection of 15kV
- Powered by USB port, no external power adapter required
- Easy plug and play installation and RS-232 device connection
- COM port number assigned can be changed to any COM port number required
- Works with USB 1.1 & 2.0 host port
- Dimensions: (Adapter only) 65.50mm(L) x37.10mm(W) x 18.80mm(H)
- Windows Windows 7,8, 10, and 11
- Linux and Mac OS 10.X
- Note: As of June 2018 Windows XP is no longer supported. Please contact us if you require Windows XP support.
- Mini USB 2.0 to RS-232 DB-9 Serial Adapter
- 3ft. USB Type-A Male to Type-A Female Cable
GPS / Chartplotters / Fish Finders:
- Magellan Sportrak GPS
- Garmin GPS III Plus
- Garmin eTrex Legend
- Garmin 76S GPS
- Garmin Rino 120
- Garmin Etrex
- Garmin GPS V
- Peets weather station
- Sky Caddie
- SkyCaddie SG2 Golf GPS
- Humminbird 767
- Megellan MAP330
- Oregon Scientific WMR-968
- La Crosse WS-3610
- Davis Vantage Pro II weather station
- Yaseu FT-950 Amateur Radio
- Kenwood TM-D710 ham radio
- TenTec RX320 shortwave radio receiver
- Kenwood TM-D710 dual band Amateur radio
Routers: (Connects to Cisco Console cable)
- Cisco 871
Cisco 2900/3900 XL
Cisco 678 DSL
- US Robotics Courier dual standard V.34
- Zoom 56k external fax modem
- Bernina 180 embroidery machine
OBDII Data Analyers:
- Innova 3140 / 3160 OBD2
- Equus 3130 Innova Diagnostic Code Scanner
- Autel MaxiDAS
Telescopes / Solar Controllers:
- TS-60 Morningstar Solar Controller
- Celestron 5SE Telescope
- Celestron CGEM astronomy tracking mount
POLICE SCANNER RADIO:
- Uniden BCD396XT programmable radio
- Uniden 780XLT scanner
- Uniden Bearcat BC346XT scanner
- Stentura 200SRT
- Stentura 400SRT
- Stentura 500
- Stentura 6000
- Stentura 6000LX
- Stentura 8000
- Stentura 8000LX
- Brother wire EDM machine
- Graphtec plotter
MegaSquirt car tuning
SBC ALIX Firewall
Lynx6 AL5B robot arm (Karmic RC) Matlab 2009b
DVDO iScan Duo
- Strippit HECC80-3 CNC
Suunto X6HR watch
Altec Digitizer Tablet
Data Logging Digital Multi-meter
Conext uninterrupted power supply
Automation System SLC 500
Keile Micro Controller
SEL-751A relays (needs null modem adapter & acselerator software )
URC remote controls MX-850
Summa Graphics D15 vinyl cutter
- Anthem MRX 300 A/V receiver
- Anthem MRX 500 receiver
- NuVo music system
APRS unit (Byonics RTG
Technological Arts Adapt9S12C32 MCU
Zebra Label Printers
H. Raymond “breadvan” –
Quality product with a nice build quality, driver installation went smoothly on my Windows 7 x64 notebook. Will buy from manufacturer again.
Steve in DFW Texas –
Plugged it into my system and it has worked like a champ.
Before you use the adapter you’ll want to run “Windows Update” off the Start menu. For Windows 7 you won’t need the mini CD-ROM that comes with the adapter. Run “Windows Update” two separate times because there are two things Microsoft wants to install.
– FTDI – Other hardware – USB Serial Port
– FTDI – Other hardware – USB Serial Converter
After those two software updates are installed you’re ready to use the adapter.
This unit also came with a very nice shielded USB extension cable too. I’m using it for a very old Garmin GPS device. The Garmin software found the serial port very easily.
This serial usb adapter that has the FTDI chipset. The Prolific chipset adapters do not work as well as these. This worked the first time I pluged it in perfectly. If you are having trouble with the prolific chipset adapters, buy this one. I don’t give 5 stars much, but this one is a 5 star item! The price is a little high, but the free shipping makes up for it!
The drivers on the CD it came with i’m sure are fine, but they may be 1 rev behind. I got the latest from the main website.
H. Direen –
I tried 3 or 4 other manufactures of USB to RS-232 adapters and all had issues with the software I was developing. Some USB to RS-232 adapters even blue-screened Windows. This is the only adapter that worked flawlessly. The USBGear device uses the FTDI chipset and has certified Windows drivers. I highly recommend this USB to RS-232 serial adapter.
There’s a driver CD but it does NOT include Windows-7..
Turns out the CD is still useful.. upon insertion a web page pops up with local driver links AND a weblink to newer drivers at [..]. Meantime the CD plays a little video explaining how to install the adapter and configure COM port settings. Pretty nice!
You don’t need to save the CD since the adapter says ‘USBGEAR’ right on it, so you’ll always know where to get drivers.
5 stars for a nice gadget with good back end support!